Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies


My husband goes scuba diving pretty frequently. Whenever he goes, his dive buddy's wife always sends her husband off with enough delicious snacks to feed the entire boat (or at least it seems that way). My hubby is always raving about her cooking, especially her chocolate chip meringue cookies. Which she happen to send on sunday's dive trip. He was kind enough to bring home 2 of them for me to try, and indeed they were quite delicious.

I don't know if you've ever had these little puffs of air before or not, but they're just that puffs, like "air". You could probably eat about 100 of them before getting full. Okay, maybe not 100, but you get the point. Needless to say 2 cookies didn't do it for me yesterday, so off to the kitchen I went to whip up a batch.

The recipe I used is derived from this one here at SpryLiving. Except I modified it as follows:

Ingredients:
3 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips

Instructions: 
1. Preheat oven to 200˚.

2. Combine egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla extract with electric mixer til soft peaks form. Then gradually add sugar until stiff peaks form.

3. Fold in chocolate chips.

4. Line baking sheet with parchment. Drop dollops of mixture onto parchment or pipe shapes with pastry bag and tip. These cookies will remain in whatever shape they are added to the parchment as. They don't flatten, rise or smooth out or anything. I used a pastry bag with no tip.

My apologies for not taking pics til I put these in the oven, but you really don't need to see a mixer in a bowl right? Here's what they looked like when I put them in the oven:


And here's what they look like when the came out:


In fact I think they were better then following day, once the flavors combined a bit more. You can keep these in an airtight container or ziplock bag for up to a week. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. The blog and the baking both look great! So professional and delicious-looking at the same time!

    ReplyDelete