HummingBird Bread


Earlier this year my husband and I spent the week in Atlantic Beach, NC. We went to this restaurant called The Channel Marker (twice in fact) during our trip. If you ever go there be SURE to order the Hummingbird Cake for dessert! Apparently Hummingbird cake is a popular dish in the south, however before this trip I had never heard of such a thing. This cake is reminiscent of a carrot cake but instead calls for bananas and pineapple - but at the Channel Marker they also added coconut.  Topped off with cream cheese icing - and it was to die for!


This recipe was modified from one I found HERE I was in the mood for Carrot cake, but felt like giving this one a whirl as well. So I also added carrot and coconut. 


So here was the problem. I baked this bread/cake at night, and let it cool overnight. By the next morning I had developed a pretty quick moving cold and unfortunately couldn't even taste this cake. I'm assuming that by how quickly the hubby devoured it - that is wasn't that terrible...especially given that he doesn't like carrot cake. 

I made the glaze according to the directions in the link above, and I should have known by the word "glaze" but I didn't like how liquid this glaze stayed. I was hoping it would harden at some point but never did. Of course by then, it was too late to add more sugar and thicken it up. Nonetheless I heard it tasted pretty good. I'd like to make this cake again, but I think I'll use a different recipe next time - I'm still looking to replicate the one at the Channel Marker - does anyone know their baker? Hook a sister up!


No comments:

Post a Comment